Excited about The Hobbit?
I’m one of many people eagerly waiting to watch the new release of The Hobbit. I can’t think of any movie I wanted to see more this year. But sadly, there’s a lot of ethical conflict involved in the choice to fully support the film.
Recently, an exclusive report was released to the Associated Press on the animal death toll involved in filming. In all, five horses, a pony, and several goats, sheep, and chickens were allegedly maimed or killed.
According to whistleblowers from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the following occurred:
- A horse named Shanghai was hobbled (his legs were tied together so that he couldn’t move) and left on the ground for three hours because he was too energetic for his rider. Afterward, in order to hide his rope burns for filming, his legs were covered with makeup and hair. Hobbling is an outright violation of the American Humane Association’s (AHA) guidelines.
- One horse was killed and another horse was injured after being placed with two highly strung geldings, despite concerns that the geldings would be too aggressive.
- Another horse was killed after falling off an embankment in a severely crowded paddock.
- When the horses were moved to the stables, another horse died after being fed large amounts of food that he wasn’t used to. The horse had shown signs of colic, an extremely painful illness.
- When the horses were moved back to the paddocks after this incident, another horse had the skin and muscles of her leg torn away by wire fencing.
- Several goats and sheep died from worm infestations and from falling into the sink holes that covered the farm.
- Numerous chickens were mauled and killed by unsupervised dogs or trampled by other animals when left unprotected.
How can something like this happen when the unit production manager was warned and the production was monitored by the AHA?! Furthermore, this movie was directed by Peter Jackson, a master at computer-generated imagery (CGI). In a movie that features CGI dragons, ogres, and hobbits, CGI animals would have fit in perfectly. Jackson could have made The Hobbit without using a single animal—and he should have.
You can urge Peter Jackson to refrain from any further animal cruelty here, and inform your J.R.R. Tolkien fan friends about the torture, and death, that occurs when real animals are used unnecessarily in fantasy settings. There is absolutely nothing cheap or weak about using CGI animals, especially at our level of production technology.
569 Notes/ Hide
- thorin0akensheild likes this
- ataleforthetimeotter reblogged this from closet-sentimentalist
- closet-sentimentalist reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion and added:
- pretendingtocare reblogged this from gnomewithsocks
- bulimic likes this
- sherlockheartsbees reblogged this from gnomewithsocks and added:
- gnomewithsocks reblogged this from vieries and added:
- unintentionalgenius reblogged this from vieries
- iggywiggy92 reblogged this from yamino
- desirani reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion
- teaforcorpses likes this
- guestwho reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion
- oldatheart reblogged this from tinypunx
- oldatheart likes this
- tinypunx reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion and added:
- xveggiexzombiex reblogged this from veganlee
- veganlee reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion
- basicxswamp likes this
- all-lives-are-beautiful reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion
- disappearance-of-my-youth reblogged this from mycollapsingframe
- bobinrobin reblogged this from malinpandurr
- unicorns-and-veganism likes this
- missjraffe likes this
- musgosa reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion
- kontraster likes this
- fluttersheep reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion and added:
- malinpandurr reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion
- xamhx likes this
- sexwalnuts likes this
- thepreciousthing reblogged this from spirits-of-kin
- figurine likes this
- itcamebynight likes this
- spirits-of-kin reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion
- mycollapsingframe reblogged this from fuckyeahcompassion and added:
- mycollapsingframe likes this
- fuckyeahcompassion reblogged this from ibtk
- kaleidoscopedisaster reblogged this from yamino
- ibtk reblogged this from ohtoriprince
- jajajujru reblogged this from soycrates
- clear-sight reblogged this from jahloveangel
- jahloveangel reblogged this from yamino
- izzy-springbolt reblogged this from scienceyeah
- fractionalrabbits reblogged this from yamino
- jahuel reblogged this from modificationnotmutilation
- lonelydad38 likes this
- shehadblondeambition reblogged this from denyxeverything
- feisty-pantsprincess likes this
- cadmiumcreation reblogged this from viggo-i-cant-swim-save-yourself
- shaveyerpitz reblogged this from doyoulikeheadgames
- doyoulikeheadgames reblogged this from denyxeverything and added: