It’s really hard to watch animal rights documentaries that don’t have visible people of color besides the people who are harming animals.
Like, it physically hurts and I want to cry.
No wonder I’ve distanced myself from the animal rights movement.
I think one of the reasons for this is that PoC workers are, in our society, given jobs which are dangerous and undesirable to those who like to maintain ignorance and comfort. Worker exploitation, predominantly correlated with race, is most widespread in the animal industries. When we see people of colour in animal rights documentaries being the abuser, they are also often the abused. An upper-class white male elite has pitted PoC against defenseless animals, and both lose their lives and livelihood in the struggle to bring cheaper, easier goods to the main benefactors of the Western capitalist system. While personal responsibility is involved with all workers of the animal slaughter business, the influences of a broader capitalist nation are equally, if not more, at fault.
That isn’t to say that PoC don’t make their own turnouts in vegan media. I also think what could be influencing this statement is that most “vegan” documentaries that contain animal rights messages are ACTUALLY just health and diet documentaries which tack on animal rights as a sidenote, and our health and diet culture is inextricably linked to the concept of White Beauty, privilege, and luxury.
Mainstream documentaries supported by Hollywood and contemporary celebrities are not representative of the wider animal rights community, and should not influence someone to distance themselves from their local animal rights movement. (In the same way that, say, PETA is not representative of the animal rights movement)
37 Notes/ Hide
- granolavgoddex likes this
- p-ilot reblogged this from veganemelda
- adifferentkindofpoison likes this
- mellivora likes this
- greenlinechillin reblogged this from veganemelda and added:
- j0bbernowl reblogged this from soycrates
- transtofuscramble reblogged this from soycrates
- drunklikemud likes this
- veganemelda reblogged this from soycrates and added:
- spitzederzunge reblogged this from veganemelda and added:
- spitzederzunge likes this
- sailorseitan likes this
- friendlyhomes likes this
- rinakurun reblogged this from soycrates
- transtofuscramble likes this
- sanarues likes this
- homopteran likes this
- mashimaroll likes this
- a-lex-andria likes this
- goth-vegan likes this
- the-srinimatographer likes this
- inmymindiamfree likes this
- somethingaboutbeingvegan likes this
- soycrates reblogged this from veganemelda and added:
- ibtk likes this
- futurexperson likes this
- boozecluess likes this
- incidentalpiratequeen likes this